The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Friday, July 1, 2011

Pre-12 miler

Just so you know...my passion freaks me out a little!

I was planning on only doing 10 miles tomorrow. But for some crazy reason I'm going to Lake Powell with 120 SINGLE STRANGERS so I have get my 12 miles in this weekend. (I'll get back to that Lake Powell thing later.) I did 10 miles a couple weeks back so I don't feel bad about skipping that. It's the running 12 miles that freaks me out. My longest training runs for my half marathons were 11 miles. I know only 1 mile less, but still. I think it's that number, twelve. It sounds so harsh. Wish I knew it in Spanish, might sound better. It's unchartered territory. My niece did remind me that I have done 13 miles two times before. This is different. This is training.
Training is the hard part. My fabulous extra bone in my foot has been hurting. Along with a little Achilles tendonitis flare up. Wednesday I was supposed to do hills, but did the elliptical instead. I took a complete rest day yesterday. Today I did 4. I can still walk. I'm just scared I'm going to be kicking it on the side of the road calling my mommy to come pick me up. I know, okay hope, that my foot will be okay. I also know it's all mental. What you put your mind to, you can accomplish. I will finish. It will be a lot of "me time" on the road.

It takes a lot of mental energy to do this...to train...to run the whole west side of the Salt Lake Valley. Which is why I am not supposed to be stressing out about being in a bathing suit for 4 days with a bunch of random strangers. With some convincing, I jumped into this Lake Powell trip. If I'm lucky I will know three people. I've never been to Powell, thought it might be fun. Oh, and the ratio is 50/50 guys and girls. All single. All close to my age. Remember that last post about talking to cute guys, yeah this should be fun. Maybe when I'm running for 2 1/2 hours tomorrow I can teach myself how to flirt. Funny, I know!

1 comment:

Martha said...

You can flirt!! I know you can do it. I can't wait to hear about this trip!