The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Monday, July 25, 2011

Embrace the 10!!!

Today's scheduled workout...
2 miles warm up
3 miles tempo (9:39 pace)
1 mile cool down

I could not get under a 10:15 average pace. I tried but it hurt and WAHHH!!!! It's hard stuff to push your body. I was on the flat lake too. I just don't think I can get below a 10 minute mile. Maybe for those quick 5Ks but not much more than that. I need to embrace that I'm just a 10 minute miler. I can be okay with that. I love it when my app beeps in sometimes to say 9:... pace, but it hasn't been happening much lately. I've heard and I'm noticing that you lose a lot of your speed when you start marathon training. You are going the distance, not for the speed. At least, I'm not. I was looking at my training before my last half. I was able to hold that tempo run at a 9:39 pace for 3 miles. That was my last tempo run before the race, where this was my first one in 3 months. Yeah, that's why I was "slow." I will get back there again.
I'm also rethinking my marathon goal time. It's getting longer and longer. Again, that's okay because at least I will finish.
I also really want a Garmin watch. The only thing my phone app doesn't do is correctly tell me my current pace. It tells me average pace, distance, time, and calories. I really want to know my current pace so I can keep it there and not go too slow or too fast. I just can't justify the money. Granted I just spent that much money on my classroom.

1 comment:

katie said...

i think a 10 min mile is awesome. keep it up