The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Monday, July 18, 2011

15 miles

I begin every long run with a prayer. It is because of that prayer and the grace of God that I made it through the last mile. Did you see that crazy lady running in the middle of the road? That was me. I kind of knew I was in the middle of the road, I just couldn't get myself to move to the side. Once the car came, I moved. The crazy lady talking to herself, that was me too. I was trying to give myself that mental pep talk to keep going. To keep running. It worked, but like I said, only through the grace of God. Seriously.
These 15 miles were different than the 12 miles. It didn't seem like 15 miles. It was a familiar route. I just told myself that I was running to the high school, then around the lake a couple times, then home. It made it easier to break it up into increments like that. I dropped my water bottles the night before. What do I mean by that? I literally went and left water bottles on my route. I wrote a "T" on them so I'd know they are mine. Don't want to drink somebody's discarded pee bottle by accident. I stopped at the high school and just threw a bottle out the window onto the grass. The other one I left in a flower garden in Daybreak. Loved those waters. I picked them up along the way and ended up dropping them again to pick up on the way back home. This route was 90% flat which made it nice, but also made me really slow. I was a little disappointed at how slow I was. I'm over it now. I realized, it doesn't matter how fast I am. It matters that I'm running a MARATHON. As usual, I questioned my insanity. Always, always, always. I realized this is taking every ounce of mental energy I have. I wondered what the last 2 miles would be like. I've done 13.1 miles twice before. But nothing more than that. Before I started my run, I decided that if it ended up being 14.5 miles, I would be okay. As I was running, I realized, no, I want my data to say "15 miles." So I was going to keep going until that little voice said "15." Luckily, I hit 15 right by the clubhouse. I stopped running, put my hands in the air, and cried convulsively. Not just little tears, I was trembling. Why? I was so thankful I was done and I had done it. I did it!!! Yay me!! Then I realized I had to control myself before I got to my street or I might actually wake up the neighbors. So I did.
Later that afternoon, I treated myself to a facial and massage. I love massages. It felt so good. I was not sore from this run at all. I'm more sore from crash landing on a wake board the day before but that's a different story.
DETAILS:
Distance: 15.07 miles
Time: 2:48
Pace: 11:12 min/mile
Calories burned: 1,670
Water gulped: 42 oz (10+16+16)
Gatorade: 10 oz (Lovin' me lemon lime flavor)
Vanilla Bean Gu Gels consumed: 2

No comments: