The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Day After

I'm so sore! I've learned to walk down the stairs backwards. You know how you are out gardening all day and the next day you are sore. You don't understand why random muscles hurt. That is how I feel. It is more than just my legs that hurt. But let me tell you, those legs are burning. I stretched. It was only 3 more miles than what I'm used to doing. I don't know why I'm so sore. I'm half joking, half serious. My toenails don't hurt as bad though. They might be keepers. Since the course was downhill that is probably why I'm sore. I took a very slow walk to the mailbox. I couldn't walk down the mini hill. I was laughing at myself. It's worth every inch of pain.
I took my medal to church. Yes, I know. I only pulled it out once.
I don't think it's hit me what I've done. I just entered it into my running log. I kind of got teary eyed there. Wow! I burned 1300 calories. Don't worry, I quickly found them in the yummy cake and pizza I had yesterday. I have my bib # up on my fridge.
I'm so thankful for all my friends and family who have supported me through this. Everyone telling me how proud they are. That does mean a lot to me. I appreciate everyone's kind words. Bragging rights and stuff, it makes me smile!

So, what's next on the agenda?
Leisurely runs
A personal record on a 5K
Another 10K
Red Rock Relay in September
Another half? Don't know yet. I am so thankful for my body and what it can do. I have put it through hell. I don't want to keep pushing myself and then not be able to run anymore. This half marathon, for me, was perfect. I beat my secret time. It was a great course. I don't think it can get much better than that.

4 comments:

Shana said...

Awesome!

katie said...

you look so happy girl. great job

Allison said...

You have every right to brag . . . so brag away, sista!!!! So proud of you! Don't forget Mesquite! Love Ya!

Allison said...

ps - You need to add "Finishing a 1/2 Marathon and beating your secret time" on your "Favorite Things" in the sidebar!!!!!