The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Saturday, February 27, 2010

Winds from the south

I did it! So you're going to get the play by play. The first couple miles were pretty easy. My body is used to doing 3 miles pretty good now. During mile 2 the wind was behind me just pushing me along. It was almost too easy. My iPod started playing "Holding Out For A Hero" from Footloose. I was so in the groove. I was running on a gravel path. Hearing the gravel under my shoes, listening to the music, I was Kevin Bacon for a few minutes or maybe even Rocky. I was even running uphill. The song ended just as I was coming to the top of the hill of the Temple, overlooking the whole valley. Pretty perfect. So this was all in the first 3 miles. The easy part.
I realized that it's the last mile that will be the hardest. That's where I'm entering new territory. The second half of the run I was running straight into the wind. I was running down a pretty good hill. I was thinking, "Wow, my time will be good." Yeah, not so much. My eyes were watering. I think my face aged 5 years with the wind blown effect. I think I burned at least, an extra 100 calories just fighting the resistance of the wind. Needless to say, I ran 2 miles straight down 40th south against the wind. But I kept on running. Once I turned onto 126th, the wind was a little better. It only blew me slightly sideways. But it was also blowing the moo-moo stinkies (cows) my way. That did give me incentive to keep running.
This is what I realized...NEVER take for granted the body that God has given you. It is an amazing thing. I can't believe my body can do what it has. When I'm out there running and my body is accomplishing this amazing feat, I marvel at it. I'm thankful. I'm blessed. I hope I never take it for granted.
Why do I write this blog? Partly to say, "Holy Crap, I did it!" To keep track of my journey. But also to show others that I'm not an athlete. I haven't been thin all my life. I still eat chocolate almost every day. I'm just too weak. It hasn't been easy. It can be done though. Hopefully, I can give someone some motivation to get out there and start running. Maybe I can help someone else know that they can do it. To give a little HOPE!



1 comment:

Allison said...

Theresa . . . YOU ROCK!!! Thank you for sharing!!! I am so proud of you and everything you have accomplished!! Thank you for inspiring me to be a better person. I wish I lived closer so we could be running partners. I love you!!!