The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Change in perspective


As the snow has become my new friend, I have become best friends with lots of layering. Every morning my ritual consists of
1. Layering with at least two pair of pants/leggings. I even wore leggings under my tights. At lest 3 layers of shirts. I'm always cold now.
2. Start the car to warm up.
3. Jacket - I think I have more jackets than shoes, so it's always fun to pick which jacket I will wear each day.
4. Scarves - I'm so glad they are in style because I have been in love with them for the last 2 years. With the short hair now, it keeps my neck warm.
5. Gloves - I don't know the usefulness of these because my fingers are usually already cold when I put them on.
6. Comfy socks - On top of my normal socks, I put on the comfy socks. They keep my toes warm and keep the socks dry.
7. Boots - so I can trudge through the snow. I put my normal shoes in my bag.
8. Beanie - Oh, wait, it will mess up my hair. I put it on and then take it off before I leave.
Now with this information, I only have to walk about 100 -150 steps from my car to the building. Born and raised a Californian.

As I was bundling up the other day, I was thinking how tiring a process this is. It really is a lot of work. Those of you in California, never complain about all the work it takes to spend a day at the beach. Anyways, I was kind of having a bad attitude toward my new friend the snow. Then I came around the bend in the road on my 4 minute commute and this is what I saw.

I took this after. It was actually a lot more beautiful that morning. It was misty and the Temple looked absolutely beautiful. It took my breath away. It changed my attitude and made the weather a little more bearable. I am so lucky to be able to see the Temple everyday. I can see it for most of my "commute" and throughout the day. I remember living in Logan and being so close to the Temple. I tried never to take it for granted. I hope I never take for granted how close I am to this new Temple, you know, now that I'm 5 minutes instead of 15 minutes from a Temple. I know, I know, I can actually see 3 Temples on a good day, especially driving home from my parents. THAT is the upside to living with my new friend, the snow.

4 comments:

katie said...

ok Theresa, I can not and will not ever call that white stuff "my friend" After 12 yrs "hate it" I am constantly cold. I have yet to fall in it this year, time will tell, happens every year. I will admit I see the temple everyday, it is beautiful, but it is just as pretty without the white stuff. I think you get it that "it just needs to go away.

Tina said...

Oh dear snow. How I love but hate thee. I do think it's pretty, but not driving it. Then it is not my friend. Very cute post! I should learn to dress in layers.. but who am I kidding a light parka is a winter coat to me! Dinner was fun tonight! I love that we still get together and keep in touch! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and I am expecting details on Jan 2nd!

Shana said...

That's funny. Ryan is from Cali and he still wears shorts in the winter.... no matter how cold it is. We'll think of you when we are in San Diego for Christmas and New Year's (supposed to be close to 70 next week!) Merry Christmas!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Merry Christmas Theresa! I love reading your blog.