The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Friday, October 10, 2008

Museums, Shopping, and LA Freeways

California was absolutely beautiful! You know the saying, "The grass is greener on the other side." Yep, I agree. I realize I'm on vacation with no stress or worries.
I was there for 9 days and stayed with one of my mom's co-workers in Simi Valley. She was the sweetest lady and so hospitable. I was about 2 hours away from where I grew up, so basically I could've been anywhere. Pretty much left on my own since my mom was working, I really enjoyed exploring.
MUSEUMS
First, I hit three different museums. I went to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library, the J.P. Getty Villa, and the J.P. Getty Museum. I definitely got my fill of culture and history, but I loved it!
The Presidential Library was neat because Ronald Reagan was the president I grew up with, the first one I actually remember. (If you're too young to remember him, I don't want to hear about it.) A lot of Nancy Reagan's gowns were on display. She was a very sharp and stylish dresser for the 80's. I was very impressed.


The above quote is from John Adams states, "May only good and wise men inhabit this house." I thought it was cool.
They also had Air Force One from when RR was in office. It was huge, but small and cramped once you got inside. I expected it to be a lot roomier. They had remains from the Berlin Wall, a big Jelly Bean Jar, and lots of other interesting stuff.

Then I went to the Getty Villa. Basically, it's a Roman Villa that a rich oil dude recreated to house all his artifacts he collected from Rome and Greece. There was stuff that dated back from 6,500 B.C. WOW!! It was a beautiful place. Probably around 80% of the stuff there was from this ancient villa in Herculaneum, near Pompeii. Even the marble floors were made of remnant pieces that were found there. The architecture was amazing too. I walked around all day.

Then I went to the Getty Museum. This museum started out as a place for Getty to collect everything non-Roman empire era. I mostly walked around to see the beautiful, beautiful paintings. I got to see Monet, Rembrandt, and Renoir. I could totally work in a museum.
http://www.getty.edu/visit/
After the museums I got to go to the beach two of the days. All I wanted to do was to put my toes in the sand. The beach is so peaceful to me. I could listen to the waves crashing on the shore forever.









SHOPPING & READING

You leave a girl on her own, she's going to shop. I found 3 shopping centers that were close to where I was. One of my favorite places, though, was when we went to Chino. They built this awesome outside mall. They had the coolest store, H&M. I remember seeing these all over Europe but didn't pay attention. They have cute clothes, for cheap! I loved the place so much, I even splurged on my nieces. What I loved about all these shopping centers were the outside tables they had everywhere. I would kill time by sitting at a table, in the warm sun, reading my books. I probably wouldn't sit out in the middle of the Gateway by myself, I'd be too self conscious. But where I know I will never see these people again, I'm more able.

L.A. FREEWAYS
I'm proud to say, that after driving all over Los Angeles, I can now change lanes with the best of them!!! It took me a few days, but now I'm good. Maybe because I learned on these freeways, I don't think those "crazy California drivers" are all that bad.

It was a fun trip. I got to spend time with my mom and nieces that I don't get to see enough of. I tried to stay on my diet, but that didn't work out so well. You just can't pass up The Hat or Tommy's.

2 comments:

katie said...

I want to put my toes in the sand. Man am I jealous. Yes, that outside mall is alot of fun. I miss that about home. You can just go and sit (people watch) in the wonderful weather. I'm glad you had a great time (not really). Next time ROAD TRIP!!!!!!

Tina said...

Oh sooo jealous! Looks like you had so much fun!