The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Sunday, August 14, 2011

19 miles

I've been putting off posting because my long run yesterday ended horribly!!!! It was not one of my finer moments.
I only cried three times...
1st- When I passed my cute neighbors who were running together chatting it up. I wished I had someone to run with. With that, the energy to keep up with them and talk while running. I loved having my sister run with me last week.
2nd- Mile 15 when I wanted to stop and found that inner self. In that moment I know there "were angels among us." They were with me, helping me and pushing me. I think I lost them around mile 18 :)
3rd- After my ice bath when I couldn't stand up. I couldn't feel my legs and thought this is the closest I will probably ever get to an epidural.

This fabulous run started the night before when I laid in bed fretting about what route I would take. 20 miles is a long way. I just didn't feel good about any of the routes I had planned. I also wanted to start running at 5AM, to beat the heat, which made me nervous. Needless to say, I ended up with about 3 hours of sleep that night. The beginning of my run was great. Normal, everything as planned. A couple hours in, the top of my foot started hurting under where I tie my shoe. I unlaced part of my shoe and continued on. Around mile 15 I wanted to be done. I had hit a "mini wall." I found my inner zen, turned the music on, and continued on. It was a nice route I was taking. Parts were new to me so it kept me interested, for a mile at least. I was only at mile 16 and I wanted to stop. Instead of taking a walk break every 2 miles, I was now taking them every mile. It was hot, my foot was hurting again, my legs ached. I saw my final destination, yay right? NOPE, I still had 2.12 miles left. I somehow miscalculated my route. All that time laying awake worrying about which route to take, I took none of them, and came up short. I turned around and told myself to run 1.06 miles then turn around, making an even 20. I got to the end of the street and it had only been .53 miles. I couldn't keep going. My foot was now a sharp pain. My body ached. I turned around and headed back. I tried to find little streets to run up to get my complete 20 in. I kept repeating to myself, "It's about finishing, not quitting." I was about to run up the last street and my body stopped. I really don't remember now. I remember not being able to run anymore. I decided that I don't care if my read-out says 20 miles or 19. I don't care!!! I also know that I get to do this again in a few weeks so I have another chance to try. I started heading back again and saw my sister and nephew coming to pick me up. Just seeing them gave me a little energy. I probably could have finished that last .7 miles but didn't want them to wait. Any excuse to stop.
It's hard to explain what that .7 means to me, to a runner. It should not be a big deal. I ran long enough, right? My body is in training. That's what training is about, to practice for the big event. But now, I regret that .7. Trust me, I acknowledge the 19.3. It's like coming in 2nd to someone who's competitive. Close but not good enough. Don't worry, I will not beat myself up or lose sleep over that.
My injuries have since increased with a beautiful blood blister on my left pinkie toe. That should make running this week tons of fun.

This is a journey. I knew it would be one of the hardest things I ever did. I knew that a lot of it would be mental. I don't think I realized what I would be putting my body through. Since the weight loss, I have a greater appreciation for what my body is able to do. I am thankful and amazed at the blessing of being able to do what I do. Yesterday's run will remain with me as an awful experience. I cannot put into words how I felt when I stopped. I don't know which part of me gave up first, the mental or physical part. Now, it's about moving forward. Using this experience to move on. I heard one of the most amazing talks in sacrament today. She talked about moving forward with faith and not having fear. I can relate so much of that to my own life. To other aspects, as well as running. But for the running, I realized, it is these long runs that prepare my body and mind for the epic 26.2 miles. That is why I write about the long runs. These are the runs that are molding me into what I want to become.
Rock on, run on!

Details:
Distance: 19.3 miles
Time: 3 hrs 47 min
Pace: 11:48 min/mile
Calories burned: 2,228
Water gulped: ~40 oz
Gatorade: 10 oz
Vanilla Bean Gu Gels consumed: 2

1 comment:

katie said...

are you kidding me... i would lovvvve to be able to do 5 let alone 19. you are AMAZING, do i need to say it again AMAZING. when it's time to do it, you will shine girl. you already are. :)