The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Monday, August 22, 2011

I AM A RUNNER!


Society defines us by our titles, daughter, son, friend, sister, brother, and so on. I realized today that I am a runner. I ran my amazing half-marathon on Saturday and have felt the side effects ever since. I’m sore and it hurts to walk down the stairs. But life goes on and I must persevere in my training. Due to the heat, I ended up going to the gym for my recovery run. (Recovery run-running after a hard run to supposedly get the blood flowing, hence making you less sore long term. I don’t know how much I believe of this.) I was also a little unsure on how many miles I would be able to get in with my aching muscles. I was able to run the whole planned 5 miles on the treadmill. And you know what? It was enjoyable. My legs actually felt better running than walking. The 5 miles went pretty good considering I was on a treadmill at a slower than normal pace. As I was stretching I realized I just busted out 5 miles like it was no big deal. That’s when I became a little teary-eyed at the J.L. Sorenson Recreation Center. I’m probably the only one who has cried at the gym. I realized once again, that I am a runner. Any person who moves their body faster than a walk, in my book, is a runner. But lately, it has consumed my life, mostly because training requires it. I sleep, run, teach, repeat. Amid all of this crazy training, I realized I have become what I always wanted. To be able to run like it’s an enjoyable, everyday thing. I am so grateful for the ability to run, for my body. I am so thankful that my body does what I ask it too. I’m definitely practicing a lot of faith right now as I daily push my legs to their limits, praying I don’t completely ruin myself. I have been so blessed.

I think in life, we are constantly trying to redefine ourselves. Find a new title. Many of you have the title of wife and mother. I think that maybe that is why it was an epiphany for me to realize my runner title today. At this stage in my life, I have defined my life in the only way I know how to. There are few titles missing from my life, but I am so grateful to call myself a runner.

I am happy as I could possibly be, to be an aunt to the most amazing nieces and nephews. My role as sister, daughter, and friend are lacking a little due to the high intensity of training, but there is a time and season for all things. They all still love me and I am grateful for their support and understanding.

No comments: