I wanted to share one last marathon memory. I created this blog in hopes of turning it into
a book. A book so my posterity, aka my great nieces and nephews, will know what
Auntie Teri was like. This post is for
them. I also know why it has taken 5
weeks to write it.
My marathon was on Saturday, October 1, 2011 in St. George. After the race, mom and I drove to Oceanside,
California, to stay at the beach house for a couple weeks. We got there around 10pm. I could barely walk, of course. The first
thing my sweet dear Grandma Roz did was to push her walker towards me and offer
to let me use it. It’s the kind on
wheels and she had a flower tied to the handle bars.
She was 94 years old and
still as spunky as anything.
The next day I didn’t do much but rest. I will treasure the
time I took that day to spend time with my grandma. She sat on the couch to read, and like a
little girl, I laid next to her to rest.
We laughed and joked each time one of us had to get up off the couch,
since both of us had to put forth a lot of effort to do so. She said I was taking as long as she usually
does.
That evening my grandma stood and watched her last sunset
over the ocean. It was one of her most
favorite things in the whole world.
Later that night she took a fall, which she did not recover
from. She was in the hospital for a week before passing away. It was a difficult week to watch my grandma
suffer. Afterwards, I felt so much peace knowing
about our Heavenly Father’s plan for families.
I felt so much peace because I have been working on the family history
for my grandma’s side. I know that those family members were very close those
final days. I felt peace because my
grandma was an amazing woman who led a very full life, with no regrets, up until
those final days.
I am so fortunate that I had the privilege of being able to
spend one-on-one time with her right before the fall. I was also able to interview a month before as an example for my 3rd graders who were interviewing one of their grandparents. Those are memories that I
will cherish my whole life. They are precious memories that I will remember as
part of my first marathon.

1 comment:
your grandma was a spunky little thing. she was hilarious. I so know about treasured time with grandmas. i was able to have some one on one with mine before she passed, since she was up in utah. i will always cherish that time. i am so happy that you were able to have that memory with her. your great theresa. so is your awesome family. :)
Post a Comment