Do you remember me writing about the wall I hit around mile 18 during the marathon? Well, I think I finally got passed it TODAY, 6 weeks later! This morning was the first time since the marathon that one, it did not hurt to run, and two, I actually enjoyed it. Of course those two things are intertwined. My knees and IT Band (a muscle that runs from the hip to the outside of the knee) have been hurting anytime I do any exercise. I think I tried to jump back into running too soon. Then I tried Spinning but that hurt too. So far today, my knees are doing good.
I enjoyed the run too. I didn't take my watch or any type of device to measure my speed and distance. I just wanted to be able to run 2-3 miles without hating it. As I got into it, I realized again why I love running. Something about my body in motion is just therapeutic.
I have to give my body time to recover completely from my injuries. Part of me is frustrated that my "long run" was only 3 miles. The other part of me is very thankful to God that I was able to run the 3 miles. I feel like I have to start from day one on getting miles back up to where I want them. But, it's okay. I would much rather be able to run slow then not at all.
Moral of the story is...Next time I'm taking a complete break from all workouts after the marathon to give myself time to heal.
No comments:
Post a Comment