The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

After Thoughts

Before, during, and after this race, I knew it would NOT be my last.  
Yes, it was hard and, at times, awful.  
But at the same time, it was one of the neatest experiences I've had.  

It has taken me a few days to 
1. realize that I ran a marathon
2. walk normal
3. do the stairs
4. recover completely 
5. stop wearing anything that says "St. George Marathon" on it

As I think about the race, I realize that I could do it better. I could do it smarter. I want to do this course again, one day.  I will be much better prepared.  Especially since I heard it will be one week later next year, making it cooler. Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with my results and this huge accomplishment. 
The number one lesson I learned is to KNOW the course. Know it, drive it, bike it, run it, walk it, feel it, memorize it.  I thought I had a pretty good idea of what the course would be like from the map and doing Red Rock. I was not prepared.  I thought I was running uphill when I was losing 125 feet of elevation.  

I CAN wait before starting training for my next marathon. I plan on taking time to cross train, keep my miles up and enjoy life a little. 
And a little bit of this....

No comments: