Red Rock Relay
It was my 2nd annual Red Rock Relay with the
Herriman Hotties. I have to admit that
it is a love/hate relationship with this kind of race. Going into it I was
hesitant about elevation runs and hard, hot runs all while I’m supposed to stay
injury free for my marathon.
Thursday- We meet at our Captain’s house to pack up the car
where I meet four new members of our team. You get a bunch of girls with a
common interest together and it doesn’t take long to make friends. We check in at Southern Utah University, SUU,
and get our “swag.” Swag consisted of
a-little-smaller-than-planned-but-very-cool-looking-t-shirt. We carb-loaded at
Pizza Factory then headed up the canyon to Brian Head. One of the teammates has a cabin up there.
It’s a little piece of heaven up there. It was so nice to have a bed to sleep
in before the adventure we were about to embark on.
Friday: We head up to Brian Head Ski Resort at 5AM. It’s early but surprisingly I was a little
chipper. I know! Blame the mountain
air.
Here’s a picture of our team.
![]() |
| The Herriman Hotties were also the know as Buns on Fire. Our "buns" made it easy to spot our runners. They were quite a hit. |
This year I’m in van 2, the "Sun" van, so as soon as our first runner
starts, we get to go back to the cabin for more sleep. I only get about an hour
or so of zzzz’s.
![]() |
| You are my sunshine! |
![]() |
| I just finished leg #1. |
Leg #1 Lava Lovin’ -I’m the 2nd runner in my van.
I decide I like this because it gives me time to get ready but not enough time
to fret over my upcoming run. Asthma
girl was really nervous about running 4.5 hard miles at 9,000 feet. As I’m waiting for runner #1 to come in and
hand off the slap bracelet to me, it starts to sprinkle. It’s a little cold too, so I’m doing the
whole “Should I wear a jacket or not?” thing.
My loyal girls grab my jacket out of the cargo trunk, I put it on for
one minute, and decide not to wear it.
Thanks girls! I do decide to take
my inhaler with me. I’m very glad I did.
I took the medicine about 15 minutes before I started and then took it about 10
minutes into my run. Besides the feeling
of not being able to get a full breath, it was a beautiful run. I really do enjoy these first legs. They are
completely in the canyon. It just
gorgeous all around with green trees, lava rocks, a lake, meadows, and a
mountain stillness. Of course, there was
also thunder and
lightning with a constant drizzle on me too. The thunder and lightning were not right over
me. It was reported that a tree, hit by lightning, tumbled to the ground on my
leg course, but I didn’t see it. The rain kept me nice and cool. It was not too
much to be a burden. Overall, I loved
this run.
![]() |
| Stretching after my first leg. |
| Van Exchange #1. Van 1 has finished and we are just starting. This is before I ran my first leg. |
Now I get into warm clothes!
Here’s a great picture of me in my compression tights foam rolling my
legs out. I kind of felt stupid bringing
my roller with me but I also didn’t want to be stiff and sore. I felt a lot better when I’d see other people
breaking out there foam rollers too. I will admit there was a time near the end
I thought about trying it out on the corner to see if I could earn a few
dollars.
After Van 2 had run their first legs, Van 1 is running their
second legs. It’s late so we head to New Castle, Utah to try to sleep. This is where it starts to feel like a relay.
It’s such an awesome feeling being with other runners who are crazy enough to
run all night, hoping to get an hour of sleep, in the middle of nowhere Utah. I just love it.
Leg #2 Cap’n Kirk- This run starts just after midnight. This
leg is the one I’m most excited about. It’s a flat short run with the cooler
temps of nighttime. I’m dressed with my
reflective vest and headlamp so I can see in the darkness. Let me tell you, it
was dark! It was nice to have other
runners around this year but I really should not have read a book about a girl
being kidnapped and taken to the middle of nowhere because I found the middle
of nowhere on that run. I was okay. I
think it just helped me run a little faster.
I was very excited when I thought I still had half a mile to go and saw
the runner exchange. I was done with leg #2.
Saturday: Here’s what I look like around 2AM. Not bad for no sleep and
7 miles under my belt.
Here’s a picture of the drunk driver that almost hit 4
runners. We were waiting for one of our girls to come in and this guy skidded
right next to the other people. A little scary. There happened to be a St.
George cop on hand. Very fortunate for all of us.
![]() |
| Running my last hill. |
This was another gorgeous run. Southern Utah is full of
color and it’s just visually inspiring.
Ironically, I was now saying that I love this relay stuff. That’s where
the love/hate relationship comes in. The
hate lasts about an hour. The love lasts the other 32 hours. It was an overall great
run. There is a peace I find when I’m
running and I found it out there. I also
realized that I’m ready for this marathon. Bring it on! I know so much of it is mental. This relay
business takes a lot of mental strength and I think I pulled through. I didn’t push myself too hard but hard enough
to feel good. There were 2 killer hills.
I ran the first yelling at it a few times. The second one I was doing okay
until I saw a guy walking. As soon as I saw that “fit runner” walk, I was done,
I walked it. Then I realized I’m better and stronger than this hill so I ran
it. Slow but still a run. I was so happy to see my support van and
girls signaling I was done because there was one more hill up ahead.
![]() |
| I'm done! |
YAY ME!!! I was done.
Now it’s time to relax and enjoy cheering on the other girls. We all meet up in Zion’s to run our team
through the finish line.
![]() |
| Our team at the finish line. |
It really was a fun weekend. It’s so fun to spend 2 days in
a car with 5 other people. You get to know some really amazing women. I have so
much respect for these ladies, their strength, and their running ability. They
are all an inspiration to me. I don’t
know which I enjoy more, the actual run or the crazy fun you have in between.
The ultimate best part, besides the really big fountain
drink after my last leg, was spending one last night at the cabin. After we
finished, about half of us, drove back up the canyon to relax one last night
before driving home. I was looking forward to this all weekend and am so glad
we were able to do it. Thank you to
great friends and their hospitality. It
was so nice to wake up the next morning, sit out on the porch smelling the pine
trees, and enjoy one another’s company. And of course, eat junk food!
![]() |
| Buying treats at Lin's before heading up to the cabin. I would not let go of those cookies. |
It was an amazingly long and fun weekend. Can’t wait to do
it again next year!














1 comment:
so exciting.. so want to do this
Post a Comment