The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Monday, September 26, 2011

5 days

There are 5 days left until the marathon.  I'm off-track right now, which is a blessing and a curse. I have the week to take it easy and relax. I also have the week to read the Runner's World Forums too many times, worry about my pace, and now the weather.  The forecast right now is a low of 66 and high of 95.  Not a pretty picture.  I run so much slower in the heat. It basically puts all lofty goals out the window.  I am going to stay positive and still shoot for a reasonable time. 
I get teary-eyed at least once a day thinking about all of this. I'm going to do a marathon. Wow! It's kind of scary. I have a great track record of avoiding scary things (1 reason I'm single), so it's takes courage to show up on race day. I'd like to say that I did 21 miles and call it good. But that isn't good enough.  When I first started running, I said it was the one thing in my life I have control over.  I sometimes feel like I don't have control over my marital status. I don't have control over what those higher up are telling me to do in my profession. But with running, I do have control.  I will say that to myself again and again come Saturday, amid the heat and tiredness. I, with the help from God, can do this. I can run this. I can give it my all. I can finish this race.  It is me who determines the outcome of this journey.  I am taking an active role in my life and I love it!!!

1 comment:

katie said...

i'm pulling for you girl. just think in 3-4 hrs it will be over, and you so conquered it. can't wait to see you next week.