The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Monday, June 13, 2011

10 miles

It's official! I hate that blasted hill. Why do I run it then, you ask. I would much rather do hills for the first half and downhill on the second half. Although as I up my mileage, I think that is going to be harder to do.
I'm cussing out loud for those 2 minutes as my new favorite song is blasting on my iPod. (Don't let your kiddies run hills with me. Their ears are too innocent.) As I top the hill, I switch to the next song. It happened to be Carrie Underwood, "So Small." The words "That mountain you've been climbing is just a grain of sand. What you've been out there searching for forever is in your hands..." I got a little teary eyed. That hill is just 2 minutes of an hour and 53 minute run. It's not a major hill. I'm running towards it for 15 minutes, then once I'm at the bottom, I know what my body will need to get up it. It takes inner strength because at this point I've already been on my feet for an hour. A lot of it is mental. It's about pushing harder with both your mind and body. That's what this journey is for me. Pushing my mind and body further than I ever thought I could.
The rest of the run was great. Beautiful weather! I didn't hit the mental wall this time.
Now, it's time to take it easy so I can be ready to walk all over New York City in 3 days. My sisters and my niece, Jessica are going for her graduation. I love that place. Hopefully I will have a chance this time to run through Central Park. That is if I'm not too tired from staying up all night to see Kenny Chesney on the Today Show.
Miles: 10.3
Time: 1:52
Pace: 10:56

No comments: