The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Monday, May 9, 2011

Yeah, right!

If, when I was 16, hanging out on the brown couch with some of the greatest friends ever, and they would have told me that...
I'd be 36, never married with no kids, I would have said, "Yeah, right."
Or that I'd visit the Czech Republic, or that my family would all live in Utah having family dinner together, and that they would be my best friends and my biggest fans, I would have said, "Yeah, right."

Or that.... one day I'd train for a marathon, I would have said, "Yeah, right, that
will never happen!"

Well, friends, you never know where your life is going to take you. You never know what God has in store for you. It is usually not what you had in your 5 year plan, but I will tell you this...Take your life and live it to the fullest with no regrets. These scenarios are the defining moments in my life. Moments that I would have never dreamed would be part of the plan. But they are. Life is definitely about the journey.

I put in for the lottery for the St. George Marathon about 3 weeks ago. I figured if I got picked then I'd train like crazy for it. If not, oh well, there are other marathons. I have been feeling like I need some purpose in my life. The dating life is non-existent so I need something new to focus on.
I found out this morning that I will be running 26.2 miles come this October! 26.2 miles...running!! I might have swore a little. (This is funny only if you really know me.)

I really can't believe that I'm doing this. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of it than I should. No, it's a huge deal. Just reading all the running magazines, thousands of people run marathons every year. Normal, everyday people. But me? Just seems impossible. Wow! So, if you want to follow my journey as I blog about the pain and injuries I'm sure to face...WELCOME! As you are following me and you wonder why in the heck I'm doing this, look for the smile on my face come October 1st.
Oh, and I'm running another half marathon in August and a relay race in September.
I take on this next challenge with fear, with excitement, and with every ounce of strength I have.

2 comments:

Allison said...

I can only imagine in the little swear words that may or may not have come out of your mouth!!! That made me giggle!! :)

You are such an inspiration! YOU GO GIRL!

ps - Although I didn't know you when you were 16 . . . I MISS THE BROWN COUCH!!! :)

Unknown said...

I didn't even know you had a blog!
I'm so excited for you. You totally rock!! I'm rootin for ya!