The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Thursday, April 21, 2011

2nd Annual SLC 1/2

BEFORE THE RACE (Way too many gadgets, I know)


Really, it was the 8th annual half marathon, but for me it was the 2nd.
It was such a fun run. I know you are rereading that to see if I really said fun. Yes, I did. The first half marathon I didn't know what to expect. This time I trained pretty hard core and knew what to expect. My only goal was to beat my time of 2:23 from last year. I knew I could do that. I beat it my 15 minutes.
I got to the starting line well prepared. I kept an awesome pace. I didn't have to use any of the facilities along the way either.
I wanted to stay at a 10 min. mile. Each mile my little computer would tell me I was at a 9:45min/mile. I was worried I was running too fast but it felt great. The course was mostly downhill which is why I could run faster. Plus I was surrounded by amazing people. Amazing runners who I would just try to keep their pace. I followed some guy with great calves the first two miles. For about mile 4-12 I followed a girl in silver. I really wanted to thank her at the end for keeping a great pace but I couldn't find her.
It was a quick race. I thought that I'd be mentally done by the time I hit Liberty Park but I wasn't. Each landmark that I remembered came quickly. Again, all the people in Salt Lake were out cheering for us. I loved all the little kiddies putting their hands out for high fives. Great motivation.
After I finished the not-so-much-fun hill where State St meets South Temple, I booked it. My computer said I was at 2:0x. It gave me hope that if I ran like crazy I could come in under 2:10. It was an amazing feeling. Crossing that finish line. People cheering me on. I LOVE IT!!!!!
It was such a personal accomplishment. I would have been happy with 2hrs 15 min. I wondered if I could do 2:10 and then to come in 2 min. faster than that. Such a personal triumph. The training was hard. I gave up soda for 2 weeks, chocolate for pretty much the same amount. I ran some crazy fast (for me) interval training. It all paid off. The training made the race enjoyable. I was ready. My body was ready. My mind was ready.
I'm actually excited to try out 1 or 2 more half marathons this year. I see why people say they are addicting. The added bonus of my super cute jeans fitting me again is nice too.
If you are wondering if you can do it, yes you can!!! It's all about training. The training slowly acclimates your body to the demands of the race.

YAY! It's all about the medal.

No comments: