The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Saturday, March 12, 2011

8 miles

HELL YA!!!!!!!!
That is the best way to sum it up. I just kept saying that (out loud) to myself as I was on the downhill slide. I only got one honk today. I waved back. I think it was my bright hunter orange shirt that he liked.
Once again, here's the mile by mile thoughts.
Mile 1 was okay. It was just through the neighborhood. "Look, it's my teacher." J/K I only passed 2 students. I ran fast so they wouldn't recognize me. Yeah right.
Mile 2 - I was already bored of my podcasts. It's a little lonely out there with no one to run with. I had to do a little off road running. Just because the road is closed to cars does not stop me. Granted I ended up in a small field surround by tractors. I was just getting started though, no need to be discouraged.
Mile 3&4 - More uphills. I don't have the energy to run. I'm running really slow. I decide it's time for GU energy. I'm also completely frustrated holding my water bottle. Urghh. My water belt is on it's way from Amazon as I type :) This is always when I question why in the heck am I running. "Why do people CHOOSE to do such a horrible thing? Why am I doing this? It's hot out here. I'm sweating so much my sunglasses are fogging up."
AND THEN....around mile 4.5 the energy kicks in and I start the downhill descent. YIPPIE!!! I don't even look back. My body doesn't even remember the last hellacious hour. I'm like a spring chicken in my groove running home. Music is good, pace is good, weather is perfect. I'm all out of water so I tie that bad boy around my waist, freeing up my hands. I think about stopping at the fast food places I pass to get some more but that would mean messing up my groove.
Mile 6 - I think that if that young kid is out there next week holding the sign for people to stop by and see the new homes, I'm going to give him $5. He was there last week too. This is also when I start saying the "Hell Ya" I'm doing it. I'm kicking butt.
Mile 7 was EASY! It was my fastest mile. Why? I have no clue. Well, maybe. It was really downhill. Maverick is the happiest sight in Herriman. Once I saw that, I knew I was done. I ran for it. Then speedy dude passed me. Now I have someone to chase after. (Not literally people) I try to keep his pace. This gets me running a little faster for about 2 minutes. Okay maybe one. All I see are his calves in the distance.
8 miles done! I rock!
So now how do I recover from such a run so I won't be sore tomorrow? An ice cold bath on my legs. Yeah, the running was easier than that torture.
I think I will go eat some Girl Scout cookies now. I think I burned a few calories to justify that. Plus, quite frankly, I deserve it!
I might sound cocky but in reality I'm humbled beyond anything. I am thankful everyday for what my body puts up with.
Run on, rock on!!

2 comments:

katie said...

yo go girl

Allison said...

Love the play-by-play! I can't believe I haven't read your blog for a while! I suck! . . . and HELL YA, you ROCK!!! :)