The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Monday, July 19, 2010

5K PR

I ran the Draper Days 5K this weekend. I rock! I set a new personal record for me. I ran it in 28:10 minutes. That is less than a 10 minute mile. Just barely, but still. When I train, I try to aim for staying around 10 minutes. I was hoping I would be in the 30 minute, something second section. My last 5K in September, I ran it in 31:20. This one was 3 min. faster! All that training and running actually paid off. I actually didn't feel like I had really prepared my best for this run. It was more that I needed to get one in some time this summer.
I can't fully explain why these races are so important to me. I know I've tried before. When I was running Saturday morning, I was once again telling myself that this is the one place I have control. I have my worries and concerns, all of which, I have no control over. But, running helps me get out my stress. When I'm running and quite frankly, I hate it and want to stop, that is when I tell myself, "Keep going, you can do THIS!" Then I do it. I love the feeling. I do it for me and only for me!
Rock on, run on!

No comments: