The scriptures tell us there must be opposition in all things, for without it we could not discern the sweet from the bitter. Would the marathon runner feel the triumph of finishing the race had she not felt the pain of the hours of pushing against her limits?
President Uchtdorf

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Wrapping up

My New Year’s Resolutions for 2009 were…
1. Help make visiting teaching appointments at least every other month.
Thanks to awesome companions, I think I did more v.t. this year than I’ve done the past 5 years.
2. Go to the Temple once a month.
I think I did pretty good on this on. Especially since the Oquirrh Mtn. Temple opened. I’ve gone every other week. Sometimes, every week. Now, working in the Temple, I’m there every week.
3. Read 25 books this year.
I finished 15. That’s pretty good. If I count the ones I’ve read to my students, I’m sure I hit 25.
4. Get to goal weight and stay within a certain range.
I did it. Well, until the holidays came around. No worries. Come January, I’m shopping the outside of the grocery store once again. No more aisle shopping. At least for 2 months.


Added to that I also made a list of “Things to do when I’m skinny”
1. Run!!!
I did it. I do it. I remember the song I was listening to when I was able to run for a whole song. That’s 4 minutes. Then I remember the time when I was finally able to run for a whole 30 minutes without walking. I ran five 5K’s and one 10K. It was a dream come true to finish a race. The only person I’m trying to beat is myself. It’s exhilarating.
2. Get a full body massage.
Not yet. I’m still self-conscious and not quite ready to spend the money. I’m thinking the Cameo College would be a good start.
3. Buy skinny jeans.
They were skinny to me. I wanted to go out and buy the $100 pair of jeans from the Buckle. I did it. Then I took them back 2 weeks later. I just couldn’t justify spending that much money. I discovered Plato’s Closet. I spent $30 on Buckle jeans. Much more worth it.
4. Walk up to a guy who catches my eye and say hello.
I asked him to dance. Does that count???? I did it. And….I didn’t run away when he talked back.

It's been an awesome year. I've learned a lot about myself as I try to figure out what I'm supposed to be doing. I've accomplished things in my life, this year, that I thought I never thought I'd do. (Losing weight, online dating, New York, running a 10k)
I’m still single, I’m a year older, and I honestly have no clue what the next year holds. Heck, I don’t even know what the next month will bring. But I do know that I am happy. Life is good. Make the best of it. Turn to the Lord and He will bring peace to your life.

5 comments:

Shana said...

This is new.... someone who actually accomplishes new year's resolutions and can remember what they are. I'm very proud of you! That's awesome!!!

katie said...

it's so nice to hear and read something so uplifting. your awesome girlie. so proud of you!!!

Allison said...

I LoVe YoU! Thanks for being such an inspiration to me! You are an amazing woman and I am proud to call you my FRIEND!!!! Keep up the good work . . . much love!!!!

Tina said...

Theresa, Holy crap woman look at you! You are amazing! I agree with Allison, you are an inspiration to me also. Keep it up!

Jenn said...

I have not seen or talked to you in a number of years but look at you way to go! Good for you you are an inspiration!!!!! Lets get together and catch up sometime